Friday, March 28, 2014

Diabetes Ketoacidosis!

I had a very rough week. If you didn't know, I was in the hospital with Diabetes Ketoacidosis  or known as DKA. Something I had talked about before. But when I was in the hospital, I learned about why I was in the hospital so much last year.

When I first got diagnosed, I was diagnosed with Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes. Over the course of 6 years, They basically told me I didn't have Type 2 anymore, but when I was recently in the hospital , the saw the darkening of the skin or known as Acanthosis Nigricans . So , my doctor ruled out my insulin because when you go in DKA , it means you have no insulin in your body. Now, having Type 1 and Type 2 is very rare. He mentioned something that barely happens to diabetic's which left my mom very questionable.

He said " Well, your diabetes is attacking each other." My mom and I exchanged looks as if we were looking at the doctor with two heads. " Attacking?" I asked him. He explained that my Type 2 diabetes was attacking my Type 1 diabetes. The type two was not allowing the insulin to get in my blood stream even though I was taking both my insulins.


Anyways, I am better now although, my blood sugars are crazy.


Although I had no symptoms, I thought I would let you know what symptoms to expect if you are in DKA. DKA can be deadly, and you could end up in a coma, which is something you do not want.  Take action early, and get help if you are experiencing any symptoms.

Symptoms of Diabetes Ketoacidosis



  • Thirst or dry mouth ( I have never experienced dry mouth, but I have gotten thirsty, and if you have Keytones , you need to flush them out with a sugar free fluids, water is your best option.)
  • Going to the bathroom a lot ( Again, this is because of the keytones.)
  • High blood sugar levels ( If your sugar is over 250+ , I would call you doctor, if it hasn't come down, call your doctor and go to the hospital. Your body is not holding the insulin.)
  • High level of Keytones in the urine
  • Tired
  • Flushed skin ( Looking pale)
  • Vomiting 
  • Labored breathing ( Heavy, like your sleeping.)
  • Fruity smell in your breath.
  • Confusion
  • Unconciousness
  • Shaking
  • Headaches
  • Sore throat